A California school district has agreed to pay more than $15 million to the family of a student who died in 2019 after she had an asthma attack on campus, the family’s attorneys announced. 

The Yucaipa-Calimesa Joint Unified School District in Southern California will pay Edith Sepulveda $15.75 million and adopt new safety protocols to settle a lawsuit over the death of her 13-year-old daughter Adilene Carrasco. 

According to the lawsuit, Carrasco had a known history of asthma attacks at school. Two such attacks had been documented in an online database and her student profile, which teachers are required to review, indicated she had asthma, according to the lawsuit. 

On Oct. 31, 2019, Carrasco’s eighth grade science class at Mesa View Middle School held a “pumpkin chuckin’ contest” activity on the school’s field to celebrate Halloween. Students walked approximately 366 yards from the classroom to the field. Part of the walk involved going down a hill on a long ramp, according to the suit. 

When the students got to the field, Carrasco began to have trouble breathing and asked her teacher if she could return to the classroom for her inhaler. The teacher allowed her to walk back to the classroom with another student without asking Carrasco if she felt well enough to walk back, according to the suit. 

Carrasco and a fellow student walked back to the classroom, where Carrasco took a few puffs of her inhaler. Carrasco’s classmate said Carrasco the inhaler did not make her feel better, the suit states.

Colorado shooting live updates:5 dead, 25 injured in shooting at LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs

The pair then walked again back to the field, at which point Carrasco asked her teacher if she could go to the nurse’s office because she still felt unwell despite using her inhaler. The teacher, who testified she did not know Carrasco had asthma, said yes, without asking Carrasco if she was well enough to walk to the nurse’s office, according to the suit. 

Her classmate testified that Carrasco struggled to stand up straight and that her voice sounded weak. Her condition got worse as they walked to the nurse’s office and Carrasco collapsed.

A campus monitor in a golf cart noticed Carrasco and carted her to the nurse’s office, where the nurse performed CPR as Carrasco began to show symptoms of a seizure. School staff called 911 and paramedics took her to a local hospital, where staff declared her braindead nine days later on Nov. 9, 2019 from acute respiratory failure, according to the suit.