GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The former Grand Rapids police officer who fatally shot Patrick Lyoya in April will stand jury trial, a district judge in Grand Rapids ruled Monday.

Judge Nicholas Ayoub, who oversaw former GRPD officer Christopher Schurr’s preliminary exam, said it would be up to a jury to decide if Schurr will be convicted for second-degree murder.

“(T)here is at least some evidence from which a person of average intelligence could conclude that defendant’s shooting of Lyoya in the back of the head was not reasonably necessary to prevent his escape,” Ayoub wrote in his 11-page opinion. “As the prosecutor suggests, at the instant that the shot is fired, Lyoya is not in a position of actively escaping or fleeing. A reasonable juror could find a lack of necessity for deadly force strictly for the purpose of preventing escape.”

Patrick Lyoya escaped violence in Congo:Then police killed him.

Schurr will be tried in the Kent County 17th Circuit Court. He waived additional arraignment Monday. Following the hearing, Kent County Prosecutor Chris Becker said he expects the defense to appeal Ayoub’s decision, and the trial won’t likely take place until 2023.

Lyoya, a Congolese refugee, was 26 at the time of his death. In June, Becker announced he would charge Schurr with second-degree murder.

Schurr’s defense lawyers have argued he was justifiably using lethal force in his role as a police officer.

Preliminary examinations allow judges to determine if there is enough evidence for a case to go to trial. Ayoub noted questions over Schurr’s intent or the necessity of using deadly force were questions for a jury.

Schurr fired:Michigan city fires officer who was charged with second-degree murder in Patrick Lyoya’s death

“This is not something the family is celebrating,” said Ven Johnson, one of the attorneys representing the Lyoya family in civil matters regarding the shooting. “Obviously it’s a very difficult day, it’s been nearly seven months since Patrick was shot in killed in the middle of a lawn in the middle of a morning. It’s been a very difficult process for the family.”