The gun used by a Virginia 6-year-old who is accused of shooting and injuring his first-grade teacher was “secured,” his family said a statement on Thursday. Authorities haven’t said how he got access to the weapon.

The incident nearly two weeks ago has left the Newport News, Virginia, community shaken and questioning the safety of students and staff in schools. 

Police have said the child, who hasn’t been identified, brought a loaded 9mm handgun to Richneck Elementary School in his backpack. He took the gun out without warning and shot once at 25-year-old Abigail Zwerner, who was teaching her first-grade class at the time, police said.

Gun used to shoot teacher was ‘secured,’ family says

In their first public statement since the Jan. 6 shooting, family members of the child said they have “always been committed to responsible gun ownership and keeping firearms out of the reach of children.”

The family, remaining anonymous, said the gun was “secured” in a statement released through attorney James Ellenson. The family did not say how the boy was able to access the gun while it was secured or where it was stored.

Newport News police previously said the gun was legally purchased by the boy’s mother in York County, and that the child took it from his home.

It is a misdemeanor in Virginia to leave a loaded gun accessible to a child under the age of 14.

No charges have been filed

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew said this week that no charges have been filed against the boy’s parents, though the investigation is ongoing.

Drew said he has faith that prosecutors “will make the right decision based on the evidence that they have in front of them.”