McALESTER, Okla. — Oklahoma on Thursday carried out the execution of Benjamin Cole, who was convicted of killing his baby daughter in 2002, even though he had brain damage and had been diagnosed since trial as having paranoid schizophrenia.

Cole was declared dead at 10:22 a.m. CDT. He was 57.

It was the sixth lethal injection at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary since executions resumed a year ago. Another 23 are scheduled through the end of 2024.

His attorneys said he was mentally ill and could not be executed under a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 1986. But Warden Jim Farris rejected that claim in August and five courts refused after that to intervene.

Cole was scheduled for execution after a federal judge in June rejected death row inmates’ complaints about the sedative used in the lethal injection process. Those inmates did not pursue those complaints about the sedative on appeal.

Cole was sentenced to die for killing his baby daughter on Dec. 20, 2002, at their home in Claremore. The victim, Brianna Cole, was almost 9 months old.

“Few murders are as shocking as this one,” Attorney General John O’Connor’s assistants told the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board.

PREVIOUSLY: Judge rules Benjamin Cole competent to be executed Oct. 20

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT IN THE US:Texas case deepens questions about death penalty 

What did Oklahoma death row inmate Benjamin Cole do?

Cole bent his daughter backward in her crib when she started crying and fussing, according to testimony at his trial. His action snapped the baby’s spine in half and tore her aorta, causing massive bleeding. Afterward, he went back to playing a video game.

The girl was eventually taken to a hospital but could not be revived. Police said Cole took his wife home afterward and told her he wanted to try to have another baby.

He confessed the next day after being told that a pathologist had deemed the death a homicide. “How many years am I looking at?” he said.

Benjamin Cole’s mental state

Cole had a growing brain lesion and his attorneys repeatedly described him as largely catatonic. At a court hearing Sept. 30, he sat slumped forward in a wheelchair for almost four hours. He kept his eyes closed and never spoke.

However, he spoke at length to a state psychologist who examined him in July at the Oklahoma Forensic Center in Vinita. Psychologist Scott Orth wrote in a report after the evaluation that he did not witness any substantial overt signs of mental illness.